The nature of eCADEMY’s program necessitates a different structure for attendance, truancy, and enrollment. Due to the organization of the program, the definition of student attendance is not solely based on seat time in a physical location but rather on the percentage of work completed by the student toward successful completion of coursework.
The policy also recognizes that student attendance and course completion are a joint responsibility to be shared by the students and their learning mentors and parents or guardians. The eCADEMY attendance policy is in accordance with 10.8.6 NMAC Compulsory School Attendance, which defines habitual truancy and aims to provide early intervention efforts and systems that prevent students from reaching habitual truant status. For more information, read the 10.8.6 NMAC Compulsory School Attendance Policy.
Attendance is important for all students, but especially crucial for eCADEMY's BlendED Learning Studio students due to the nature of Project Based Learning and collaborative group work. When a student is absent, learning is impacted by the other group members in every class. Every effort should be made to avoid absences that are not due to illness, family emergency, or religious commitment.
Report Absences: Absence Notification Form or (505) 247-4209
You may also report absences by email directly to your teachers. If you don't have their email, go to Contact Us and click the envelope by their name to send an email.
We do not need documentation like a doctor’s note for absences. Students will make up any Studio project work that they missed and they will continue to work on their Edgenuity classes online. Coordinate with your teachers to plan for extended absences.
The school alerts parents/guardians via phone that their student has missed school. Report absences ahead of time online, via email, or phone to avoid these calls.
Automated Progress calls are also made the last Monday of the month when a student is behind in their classes, even if they are working and/or attending. It is an alert for parents/guardians when students are behind in their classes. It will sound like an absence call, but it is a progress alert.
In APS, a student is considered “a student in need of early intervention” (truant) at five (5) unexcused absences and a habitual truant at ten (10) unexcused absences in a year.
- At 5 absences in any class per semester, a parent conference will be called and student will be placed on contract.
- At 10 absences in any class per semester, a parent conference will be called and student may lose the ability to work in groups.
Excused & Unexcused Absences
Absences may be excused for the following reasons with appropriate documentation:
- Illness (including chronic illness documented on a health plan, IEP or 504 plan)
- Limited family emergencies; family deaths
- Medical, health or legal appointments
- Religious commitment
- College visit
- Limited extenuating circumstances as approved in advance by the school principal
All absences for other reasons are unexcused, including non-school sponsored activities or trips and family vacations outside of the normally scheduled school breaks.
Cell Phones/Personal Electronic Devices
Personal items of value such as iPads, cell phones, and expensive headphones are the responsibility of the student. eCADEMY discourages students from bringing these items to school as they can easily become a distraction. If these items are lost, stolen, or damaged, the school is not responsible for search, replacement, or reimbursement.
- Cell phones should be silenced, not visible and are not to be used during class time unless a teacher allows you to use one for educational purposes.
- Personal use of cell phones is only allowed during lunchtime and passing periods.
- Teachers may confiscate cell phones. The phone will be locked in a safe in the administrative office and will be returned to a parent the following day. Repeated violations may result in confiscation for longer periods of time.
- Parents are asked not to call or text students during the school day.
Students needing to make calls during class time may do so from the front desk phone.
Drop-Off and Pick-Up
Upon arrival, students must check-in electronically. The check-in system is the official record of attendance.
To protect our students, we enforce APS check-out policies. This means that only authorized individuals who appear in the student’s official records with a photo ID will be allowed to check-out and pick-up students. Guardians requesting early release should submit an Absence Form .
Students must check-out of school by first signing out with their BlendED teachers, and then signing out at the front desk. The front desk is located inside the main entrance to eCADEMY in the administrative offices. Students cannot leave before 2:30 pm unless they properly check-out.